Online Therapist Schaumburg, IL
If you have decided to get help through therapy, you might be exploring your options, which includes an online therapist Schaumburg, IL has to offer at Lotus Wellness Center. If you have never participated in online treatment, you might have some questions about what you can expect.
First and foremost, it is normal to feel a bit nervous about your very first therapy session, especially if you have never participated in therapy sessions before. Your therapist understands that this is a new experience for you and will do their best to put your mind at ease.
Topics Often Discussed at Therapy
It probably goes without saying that this year has been particularly difficult for most people. COVID-19 hit our country hard and we have all tried to cope with our personal challenges in various ways. Some of our coping mechanisms are healthy, and some are not so much. Online therapy is a great way to get the support you need while also being safe for yourself and others.
There is a rule when it comes to therapy, and that is your therapist must keep everything you say confidential, unless you express wanting to hurt yourself or others and they are concerned for wellbeing. In that case, they may recruit outside services to ensure that you are safe.
Topics often discussed during online therapy sessions include, but are not limited to, the following:
Excessive Worry and Anxiety
There has been a steady increase of people who are experiencing anxiety, which is defined as having excessive worries about events in the future. There are ways to manage anxiety when it bubbles up, such as recognizing that there is no for sure in anything we do. Uncontrollable and unpredictable events happen all the time, and working towards this acceptance will make it easier to handle surprises when they do occur. Your therapist can help you practice existing more fully in the present moment, where there are usually much less concerns compared to worrying about the future.
Balance Between Work and Personal Life
As your therapist may tell you, many people think they can simply “do it all” when it comes to work and a personal life. Unfortunately, in our culture there is a mentality that work comes at the expense of one’s health, and this often leads to anxiety, depression, relationship problems, and more. Your therapist may encourage you to look at areas of your life that you can change for the better, such as scheduling time in your day to practice self-care. Self-care looks different to each person, but may include activities like:
- Calling a friend and talking on the phone
- Going for a gentle walk in nature
- Taking a bath
- Spending time outdoors
- Reflecting through journaling
- Engaging in an art form
- Reading favorite books
If you feel like your life has gotten to the point where you might break, then we suggest getting support from a therapist at Lotus Wellness Center today. Please do not wait until you have a mental breakdown to get the help you need.
We have found that many people struggle with anxiety and that it is harder to manage because of the political stress of 2020. People are checking the news more frequently and increasing their social media activity, making it hard to disconnect and truly relax. Furthermore, many people get into arguments online about politics, which can amplify feelings of anxiety and stress.
What Can You Expect in Your First Therapy Session?
When you arrange for therapy sessions online, you will be provided with the steps to set up the application or meeting. Your therapist will contact you at the time you booked. If you are early in the online session, please wait a moment for the therapist to connect. It is certainly possible they are finishing up with another client and will meet you shortly.
Before your session with an online therapist, you will be asked to read and sign a form of consent. This will need to be returned to the Lotus Wellness Center. Your therapist will have some basic information but may ask you for additional details. This is dependent on a case by case basis.
Meeting your therapist online might initially feel awkward. It is the therapist’s job to ease these worries and encourage you to feel as comfortable as possible. We recommend that you find a place that feels safe, confidential, and comfortable before the online session begins. Just as you would make sure there are little to no distractions at a therapy office, you should do the same thing if you are calling from your home or elsewhere.
At your first session, the therapist might collect basic information from you and review consent forms. You can also ask your questions or address any concerns that you might have. The therapist will also talk about the therapy framework, the duration and frequency of the sessions, rules of confidentiality, and payment structures.
From this point, your therapist will begin their work in their own way. For example, some you may be provided with a questionnaire that will talk about your symptoms and reasons for seeking therapy. Other therapists might ask you what has brought you to them, what your reasons for coming to therapy might be, and what you want to accomplish. From here, the conversation is encouraged to flow.
As an online therapist might explain to you; there is no right or wrong way to tell your story or explain your struggles. Some people start from the beginning; others will focus on a pressing concern and work backward. How you choose to open up and explore the issues is entirely up to you.
If you are ready to schedule your first appointment with a therapist, please call the Lotus Wellness Center for more information.
Signs a Therapist Isn’t Right for You
An online therapist in Schaumburg, Illinois wants you to know that the idea of therapy may feel uncomfortable for many, especially when considering that the entire session may be online. During a therapy session, you are likely to discuss experiences that are incredibly private and leave you feeling emotional and vulnerable. After your first session, don’t be too quick to change therapists right away. Developing a therapeutic relationship takes time, and it will be critical to ensure that you can feel comfortable enough to open up to your therapist genuinely.
However, despite this, you must be able to identify when it may be in your best interest to find a new therapist. At the Lotus Wellness Center, our clinicians will work to help you feel as comfortable as possible during a time when you may be feeling particularly vulnerable.
Know When It’s Time to Find a New Therapist
Finding the right therapist will be critical when pursuing counseling, and if a therapist doesn’t feel like the right fit, it’s crucial to know the signs and make a change. There are several reasons you might want to consider finding a new therapist, including:
- You don’t feel comfortable or are having trouble opening-up
- Going to therapy feels like too much work
- You are concerned your therapist has poor boundaries
- You don’t feel as though treatment is changing anything
- Your therapist is not professional, canceling sessions or constantly rescheduling
- You use therapy to complain, never affecting real change
- You notice that your therapist is distracted or not entirely focused on you
Our online therapist shares that the therapist you have chosen sometimes turns out not to be the right fit, and that’s ok. However, despite this, you mustn’t give up. Don’t continue with a therapist who isn’t right for you. Additionally, you must continue to seek a therapist who feels like a good fit.
We Aim to Make You Feel Comfortable Using Telehealth
Our team of counselors is skilled in supporting those during the most challenging times, and we aim to help our clients feel as comfortable as possible. Amidst the global pandemic, practitioners worldwide have had to adjust the way people can access services. That’s the primary reason we offer patients telehealth therapy sessions. Prospective patients have the option of accessing services without coming into physical contact with another person.
Whether you are attending therapy in person or have scheduled a telehealth appointment, we aim to help you feel comfortable and supported by providing the following tips to you:
- Make sure that you are in a quiet, comfortable, and confidential space
- Prepare yourself by making sure you have the right equipment and a strong Internet connection
- Log on to your session early to ensure that you do not run into any problems
- If you need support or guidance, reach out to your therapist ahead of time
Our comfortable spaces provide patients who attend in-person sessions with an opportunity to focus on treatment entirely. Unfortunately, this may not be an option for everyone. Telehealth may be incredibly challenging for some, especially when life’s distractions get in the way. While our team can provide you with tips for eliminating distractions, it will ultimately be up to you to ensure that you are prepared.
The Lotus Wellness Center provides flexible and supportive therapeutic services. We have both the experience and patience needed to support you in feeling as comfortable as possible. To learn more, schedule an appointment with our Schaumburg, Illinois online therapist at Lotus Wellness Center at your earliest convenience.
Benefits of Online Therapy
With the pandemic, many people are choosing to do more activities online, including therapy. Although the idea of online therapy might sound strange at first, it can be quite beneficial. Here are the benefits of seeing an online therapist in Schaumburg, IL:
- It’s Convenient: One of the most obvious benefits of online therapy is convenience. Instead of driving miles to see your therapist, you can do so from the comfort of your own home. The last thing you probably want to do is drive to your therapist’s office after a long day at work. When you are talking to your therapist from your bed or couch, you will feel more comfortable and relaxed.
- You Can Choose from Many Therapists: If you see a therapist in person, you’re limited to the therapists in your area. After all, you probably don’t want to drive over an hour for counseling. That’s another reason why online counseling is so great. You can choose from therapists all over the country, as long as they offer online counseling. If you and a certain therapist aren’t a good match, you can easily choose someone else.
- It’s More Private: Even though going to mental health counseling is more accepted nowadays, there may still be a stigma surrounding it. Some people may be nervous about attending in-person therapy because they don’t want others to judge them. They may be afraid other people will gossip about them. If you don’t want others to find out that you’re attending mental health counseling, online therapy may be right for you.
- You Can Save Money: Who doesn’t love to save money? By seeing an online therapist in Schaumburg, IL, you can do just that. If you attend your therapy online, you can save money on transportation costs.
- It’s Accessible for Those with Physical Limitations: If you’re physically disabled, it can be difficult for you to leave the house. You might not be able to drive and attend in-person counseling sessions. That’s one more reason to consider online therapy. You can talk to your therapist from your home, so your physical limitations won’t matter.
It Can Lead to More Consistent Sessions: There are many factors that can cause you to miss in-person therapy appointments, like bad weather and traffic.. If you talk to an online therapist in Schaumburg, IL, you won’t have to deal with all of these hurdles and can have more consistent sessions.