Online Therapist Schaumburg, IL
Online Therapist Schaumburg, IL
Going to therapy can transform your life and health in many positive ways. If you have decided to get help through therapy, you might be exploring your options, which includes an online therapist Schaumburg, IL has to offer at Lotus Wellness Center. It can take some time to find the right therapy program best for you. For those who are new to therapy and are not familiar with it, you may be wondering about how it works. If you have never participated in online treatment, you might have some questions about what you can expect.
First and foremost, it is normal to feel a bit nervous about your very first therapy session, especially if you have never participated in therapy sessions before. Getting comfortable enough with your therapist so that you can share your honest thoughts and emotions can take some time. It is normal to feel nervous or unsure before your first session. However, your therapist will not judge you for feeling that way. Your therapist understands that this is a new experience for you and will do their best to put your mind at ease.
Topics Often Discussed at Therapy
It probably goes without saying that this year has been particularly difficult for most people. COVID-19 hit our country hard and we have all tried to cope with our personal challenges in various ways. On top of dealing with health issues and concerns, the issues impacting mental health have also been magnified. For a lot of people, maintaining both physical and mental health has been a great challenge. The isolation brought on by COVID-19 has transformed the daily lives of many in unprecedented ways. We have relied on different creative methods of managing our health in the past year. Some of our coping mechanisms are healthy, and some are not so much. Online therapy is a great way to get the support you need while also being safe for yourself and others.
There is a rule when it comes to therapy, and that is your therapist must keep everything you say confidential, unless you express wanting to hurt yourself or others and they are concerned for wellbeing. In that case, they may recruit outside services to ensure that you are safe. Apart from that, you are free to express your thoughts and feelings freely to your therapist and they can help you work out particular issues or emotions that have been of concern to you.
From strained familial relationships or struggles in work or school, there are many types of subjects that can be discussed during therapy. Therapists are trained to handle various topics during a therapy session. Topics often discussed during online therapy sessions include, but are not limited to, the following:
Excessive Worry and Anxiety
There has been a steady increase of people who are experiencing anxiety, which is defined as having excessive worries about events in the future. There are ways to manage anxiety when it bubbles up, such as recognizing that there is no for sure in anything we do. Uncontrollable and unpredictable events happen all the time, and working towards this acceptance will make it easier to handle surprises when they do occur. Some things simply can’t be controlled. Learning to control how we respond to events and changes in life is one of the things that a therapist can help you with. Your therapist can help you practice existing more fully in the present moment, where there are usually much less concerns compared to worrying about the future.
Balance Between Work and Personal Life
As your therapist may tell you, many people think they can simply “do it all” when it comes to work and a personal life. Maintaining a healthy work-life balance is one thing that many people struggle with. There is a strong temptation to put your tasks ahead of your needs. Unfortunately, in our culture there is a mentality that work comes at the expense of one’s health, and this often leads to anxiety, depression, relationship problems, and more. Over time, it can negatively impact your physical health as well, resulting in headaches, high blood pressure and other stress-related symptoms. Your therapist may encourage you to look at areas of your life that you can change for the better, such as scheduling time in your day to practice self-care. Practicing self-care allows you to devote time to yourself so that you can take part in activities that you enjoy and lower your stress. Self-care looks different to each person, but may include activities like:
- Calling a friend and talking on the phone
- Going for a gentle walk in nature
- Taking a bath
- Listening to music
- Spending time outdoors
- Reflecting through journaling
- Engaging in an art form
- Reading favorite books
- Spending time with your pet
One misconception about self-care is that it focuses on luxury and expensive purchases. However, self-care does not mean you have to go on a luxurious shopping spree. It does not require you to focus on purely material things. It can be as simple and small as a few minutes of meditation or doing deep breathing exercises. Self-care is about turning attention to your needs and personal interests for the purpose of bettering your health and easing stress. What self-care means to you may mean something drastically different for another person. Everyone has various interests, so there is no singular approach to self-care.
It is important to remember that you are not alone in your struggles, whatever they may be. Seeking help early is important so that you can have your needs addressed. When you ignore or suppress your emotions, you are not directly acknowledging them, so they continue to affect you until you do. If you feel like your life has gotten to the point where you might break, then we suggest getting support from a therapist at Lotus Wellness Center today. Please do not wait until you have a mental breakdown to get the help you need.
We have found that many people struggle with anxiety and that it is harder to manage because of the political stress of 2020. People are checking the news more frequently and increasing their social media activity, making it hard to disconnect and truly relax. As a result, people feel more pessimistic. These habits can translate to our personal lives and affect our outlook on life as well as social relationships. Furthermore, many people get into arguments online about politics, which can amplify feelings of anxiety and stress.
Is Online Therapy Right For You?
Seeking help through counseling is a big step. People will often create many different types of excuses for themselves to avoid therapy or counseling. Today, online therapy helps to remove many of these hurdles for people. Lotus Wellness Center can help connect you with an online therapist in Schaumburg, IL. Keep reading to find out if online therapy is a good fit for you.
You Have A Busy Schedule
A busy schedule is often a reason people will put off therapy. Responsibilities at work and home sometimes make us believe that our mental health needs are not so important. The truth is, you cannot be all that you need to be at work or home or anywhere else if your mental health is not where it needs to be. In this situation, putting yourself first is the best way you can better serve others. The old saying is, “You cannot pour from an empty cup.” An online therapist in Schaumburg, IL can help you better understand how to fill your own cup so that you have more to give to others.
You’re Not Ready For In-Person Therapy
For many people, there is still a stigma surrounding counseling and therapy. Although great strides have been made to remove the stigma around mental health, some people still struggle with this. If you are not quite ready to commit to in-person therapy, an online therapist in Schaumburg, IL could be the solution.
Online therapy gives you the freedom to conduct your appointments right in the comfort of your own home. This gives you a greater sense of privacy concerning your care and your mental health choices.
Transportation Is A Challenge
There are many small challenges that can get in the way of getting the help you need. Transportation is often a reason why people do not get care and treatment. Perhaps you do not have reliable transportation, or you do not live nearby Lotus Wellness Center. You can still get mental health services right at home. Our team will be happy to set up online appointments for you and to walk you through the steps of how to make these appointments run smoothly. Advanced technology now makes an online therapist in Schaumburg, IL available to anyone.
Your mental health is just as important as your general health. If you are facing any of the above-mentioned challenges, an online therapist in Schaumburg, IL could be the right choice for you.
Eight Tips for Coping With Depression
Reach Out and Stay Connected
Depression can be extremely isolating. It’s tempting to hunker down by yourself, not wanting to drag others down with you. Your online therapist in Schaumburg, IL, at Lotus Wellness Center might advise you to connect with friends on a regular basis, to remind yourself that people care about you.
Reduce Your Stress
Anything in your life that’s causing you stress is also fueling your depression. Maybe you can’t quit your stressful job right now, but you could start casually looking for a new one. You can’t change your parents, but you can learn to accept them, warts and all.
Do Things That Make You Feel Good
From watching a funny movie to reading a good book, from listening to your favorite Spotify playlist to playing with your kids, anything that makes you feel good is a potential antidote to depression. Your online therapist in Schaumburg, IL, might say this is an important tool for your wellness toolbox.
Dr. Michael Craig Miller, who’s an assistant professor of psychology at Harvard Medical School, says that exercising can create new nerve cell growth in the hippocampus, a region of the brain that’s smaller in people with depression. This growth helps alleviate depression.
Stick To a Schedule
Trying to go through life without a schedule is a recipe for psychological disaster. Stress levels are high, which can put depression symptoms into overdrive. The more orderly your life, the lower stress hormones such as cortisol — which also fuels depression — will become.
Eat a Healthy, Depression-fighting Diet
A healthy diet can help fight off depression. You want to eat more plants, more lean proteins and more whole grains, while reducing red meat, sugar, simple carbohydrates and high-fat dairy products. The Mediterranean Diet is a good example of a depression-busting diet.
Get a Daily Dose of Sunlight
If you’re like most Americans, you’re spending more time indoors, and when you are outside, you’re wearing sunscreen. That means you’re not getting the vitamin D sun exposure creates. You can eat foods that are higher in vitamin D, but getting it from the sun is a free, easy option.
When To Get Professional Help for Depression
If you have any of these symptoms for two weeks or longer, your online therapist in Schaumburg, IL, at Lotus Wellness Center wants you to get professional help for your depression:
- Irritability or moodiness
- Unexplained body aches
- Trouble concentrating
- Apathy toward things you usually enjoy
- Changes in your sleep schedule
- Changes in your appetite
- Feelings of guilt and worthlessness
- Thoughts of self-harm or suicide
What Can You Expect in Your First Therapy Session?
When you arrange for therapy sessions online, you will be provided with the steps to set up the application or meeting. Your therapist will contact you at the time you booked. If you are early in the online session, please wait a moment for the therapist to connect. It is certainly possible they are finishing up with another client and will meet you shortly.
Before your session with an online therapist, you will be asked to read and sign a form of consent. This will need to be returned to the Lotus Wellness Center. Your therapist will have some basic information but may ask you for additional details. This is dependent on a case by case basis.
Meeting your therapist online might initially feel awkward. It is the therapist’s job to ease these worries and encourage you to feel as comfortable as possible. We recommend that you find a place that feels safe, confidential, and comfortable before the online session begins. Just as you would make sure there are little to no distractions at a therapy office, you should do the same thing if you are calling from your home or elsewhere.
At your first session, the therapist might collect basic information from you and review consent forms. You can also ask your questions or address any concerns that you might have. The therapist will also talk about the therapy framework, the duration and frequency of the sessions, rules of confidentiality, and payment structures.
From this point, your therapist will begin their work in their own way. For example, some you may be provided with a questionnaire that will talk about your symptoms and reasons for seeking therapy. Other therapists might ask you what has brought you to them, what your reasons for coming to therapy might be, and what you want to accomplish. From here, the conversation is encouraged to flow.
As an online therapist might explain to you; there is no right or wrong way to tell your story or explain your struggles. Some people start from the beginning; others will focus on a pressing concern and work backward. How you choose to open up and explore the issues is entirely up to you.
If you are ready to schedule your first appointment with a therapist, please call the Lotus Wellness Center for more information.
Signs a Therapist Isn’t Right for You
An online therapist in Schaumburg, Illinois wants you to know that the idea of therapy may feel uncomfortable for many, especially when considering that the entire session may be online. During a therapy session, you are likely to discuss experiences that are incredibly private and leave you feeling emotional and vulnerable. After your first session, don’t be too quick to change therapists right away. Developing a therapeutic relationship takes time, and it will be critical to ensure that you can feel comfortable enough to open up to your therapist genuinely.
However, despite this, you must be able to identify when it may be in your best interest to find a new therapist. At the Lotus Wellness Center, our clinicians will work to help you feel as comfortable as possible during a time when you may be feeling particularly vulnerable.
Questions You Should Ask a New Therapist
it’s easy to focus on all the questions a potential therapist may want to ask as you’re getting acquainted, but don’t forget that you should be asking questions too. Don’t think of it as a one-sided job interview. Your online therapist in Schaumburg, IL wants to get a feel for how they can treat you, but you should also be thinking of how confident you feel about their ability to treat you. To get the most out of your therapy sessions, here are some questions you need to ask your therapist at Lotus Wellness Center.
1. Do You See a Therapist?
If someone deeply believes in the power of therapy, they probably see a therapist. If your therapist doesn’t currently see another therapist or has not seen one recently, this could potentially be a red flag.
2. Can You Describe Your Ideal Client?
Every therapist has an ideal client with qualities they like to see. If your therapist gives a vague answer, they may be trying not to scare you away, but if you don’t match up with their expectations, your interactions with your online therapist in Schaumburg, IL can quickly become strained and even unproductive.
3. How Long Do You See Your Clients, and How Often?
it’s a good idea to get a general timeline of your treatment. it’s also a good idea to know ahead of time if a prospective therapist only sees their clients for a handful of weeks and stops meeting.
4. Could You Describe Your Strengths and Weaknesses?
it’s beneficial to have a therapist who understands their strengths and weaknesses. Weaknesses aren’t inherently bad, and if a therapist is pursuing further education on the subject matter, they are likely turning that weakness into another strength.
5. What Is Your General Approach to Therapy, and Do You Adjust Your Approach to the Client?
Some people think a direct approach is too intense when they struggle to be vulnerable during therapy. Other people value a direct approach because they can’t stand being treated as though they are fragile. An online therapist in Schaumburg, IL who can adjust their approach shows they are sensitive to client needs.
The Lotus Wellness Center has a variety of therapists to help all sorts of clients. The online approach can make it more difficult to get to know your therapist, but asking the right questions at the beginning of your relationship can help you get what you need from therapy.
Know When It’s Time to Find a New Therapist
Finding the right therapist will be critical when pursuing counseling, and if a therapist doesn’t feel like the right fit, it’s crucial to know the signs and make a change. There are several reasons you might want to consider finding a new therapist, including:
- You don’t feel comfortable or are having trouble opening-up
- Going to therapy feels like too much work
- You are concerned your therapist has poor boundaries
- You don’t feel as though treatment is changing anything
- Your therapist is not professional, canceling sessions or constantly rescheduling
- You use therapy to complain, never affecting real change
- You notice that your therapist is distracted or not entirely focused on you
Our online therapist shares that the therapist you have chosen sometimes turns out not to be the right fit, and that’s ok. However, despite this, you mustn’t give up. Don’t continue with a therapist who isn’t right for you. Additionally, you must continue to seek a therapist who feels like a good fit.
We Aim to Make You Feel Comfortable Using Telehealth
Our team of counselors is skilled in supporting those during the most challenging times, and we aim to help our clients feel as comfortable as possible. Amidst the global pandemic, practitioners worldwide have had to adjust the way people can access services. That’s the primary reason we offer patients telehealth therapy sessions. Prospective patients have the option of accessing services without coming into physical contact with another person.
Whether you are attending therapy in person or have scheduled a telehealth appointment, we aim to help you feel comfortable and supported by providing the following tips to you:
- Make sure that you are in a quiet, comfortable, and confidential space
- Prepare yourself by making sure you have the right equipment and a strong Internet connection
- Log on to your session early to ensure that you do not run into any problems
- If you need support or guidance, reach out to your therapist ahead of time
Our comfortable spaces provide patients who attend in-person sessions with an opportunity to focus on treatment entirely. Unfortunately, this may not be an option for everyone. Telehealth may be incredibly challenging for some, especially when life’s distractions get in the way. While our team can provide you with tips for eliminating distractions, it will ultimately be up to you to ensure that you are prepared.
The Lotus Wellness Center provides flexible and supportive therapeutic services. We have both the experience and patience needed to support you in feeling as comfortable as possible. To learn more, schedule an appointment with our Schaumburg, Illinois online therapist at Lotus Wellness Center at your earliest convenience.
Benefits of Online Therapy
With the pandemic, many people are choosing to do more activities online, including therapy. Although the idea of online therapy might sound strange at first, it can be quite beneficial. Here are the benefits of seeing an online therapist in Schaumburg, IL:
- It’s Convenient: One of the most obvious benefits of online therapy is convenience. Instead of driving miles to see your therapist, you can do so from the comfort of your own home. The last thing you probably want to do is drive to your therapist’s office after a long day at work. When you are talking to your therapist from your bed or couch, you will feel more comfortable and relaxed.
- You Can Choose from Many Therapists: If you see a therapist in person, you’re limited to the therapists in your area. After all, you probably don’t want to drive over an hour for counseling. That’s another reason why online counseling is so great. You can choose from therapists all over the country, as long as they offer online counseling. If you and a certain therapist aren’t a good match, you can easily choose someone else.
- It’s More Private: Even though going to mental health counseling is more accepted nowadays, there may still be a stigma surrounding it. Some people may be nervous about attending in-person therapy because they don’t want others to judge them. They may be afraid other people will gossip about them. If you don’t want others to find out that you’re attending mental health counseling, online therapy may be right for you.
- You Can Save Money: Who doesn’t love to save money? By seeing an online therapist in Schaumburg, IL, you can do just that. If you attend your therapy online, you can save money on transportation costs.
- It’s Accessible for Those with Physical Limitations: If you’re physically disabled, it can be difficult for you to leave the house. You might not be able to drive and attend in-person counseling sessions. That’s one more reason to consider online therapy. You can talk to your therapist from your home, so your physical limitations won’t matter.
It Can Lead to More Consistent Sessions: There are many factors that can cause you to miss in-person therapy appointments, like bad weather and traffic.. If you talk to an online therapist in Schaumburg, IL, you won’t have to deal with all of these hurdles and can have more consistent sessions.
When do I need to see a therapist?
Have you considered seeing a therapist before? Were you unsure whether you actually needed to or not? Knowing when to go and see a therapist can be obvious for some but challenging for others. You can take the first step today by calling us at Lotus Wellness Center and signing up to see one of our online therapists in Schaumburg, IL.
You might want to seek therapy if you are:
- Struggling to manage your stress. Some stress is healthy, but if you find yourself irritable, agitated, or unable to adequately address your stress you may want to see a therapist. Our online therapist can teach you stress management skills or how to alleviate some of the worries in your life.
- Unable to regulate your emotions. Do you find yourself yelling at other people without intending to? Did something small happen and you unexpectedly started crying? These may be signs that stress is getting the best of you. Learning anger management and stress reduction techniques from our therapists can benefit you and your relationships.
- Finding yourself in unhealthy relationships. Good relationships have boundaries. But boundaries are hard to set if you have difficulty forming close bonds, being assertive or handling conflict. Our online therapists in Schaumburg, IL can provide you with tools that allow you to set the boundaries needed for healthy relationships.
- Questioning your parenting skills. Becoming a parent is a huge life change. Each child is unique and every stage of their life is different. You may feel unsure if you are responding to your child’s emotions appropriately or if your child’s behavior is normal. Working with our therapist can give context to your child’s behavior and provide you with strategies to constructively deal with your child’s challenging behavior.
- Practicing unhealthy habits. Are you eating poorly when you are feeling anxious, skipping exercise because you feel overwhelmed, or drinking or using drugs regularly to cope when you worry? Stress can overwhelm a person’s ability to function and in order to cope with it, we form habits that are harmful in the long-term. Therapy can help you identify and work through challenging emotions in a healthy manner.
- Going through a transition. Change can be difficult, especially when it is big or sudden. Moving to a new place, starting a new job, going back to school, ending a relationship, or even the death of someone you were close to can be very stressful. Our therapist can offer guidance and provide you with tools to successfully navigate your transition.
- Stuck in the negative. If you are experiencing anxiety, you are worrying about the future. An anxious brain fills in what hasn’t happened yet with negative predictions that often don’t come true. You may also become overly critical of yourself. This can form a pattern of negativity, which you can unlearn through therapy.
There are many, many parts of life that therapy can help you with. Online therapy is an easy way to jump in. Reach out to the Lotus Wellness Center today for an online therapist in Schaumburg, IL so you can begin reducing the stress in your life.
If you want to talk about your mental health struggles in the comfort of your own home, you may consider an online therapist in Schaumburg, IL. A licensed therapist will talk to you about your concerns through a computer. Here are some frequently asked questions and answers about online therapy.
What Types of Issues Does Online Therapy Treat?
Online therapy can address many of the same issues in-person therapy, including depression, anxiety, grief and loss, phobias, anger, self-esteem and identity issues.
What Are the Advantages of Online Therapy?
One of the main advantages online therapy provides is convenience. Instead of driving all the way to a therapist’s office and fighting traffic, you can talk to him or her in the comfort of your own home. This can be especially beneficial for people who live in rural areas and don’t have many therapists nearby.
Another advantage about online therapy is extra privacy. Although everything you say in your therapy sessions is kept confidential, you may still run into someone you know in the waiting room. With online therapy, no one has to find out that you’re attending therapy.
What Technical Equipment Do I Need?
If you want to give online therapy a try, you will need a computer with microphone and video access. You may also feel more comfortable using headphones during your sessions. Additionally, you should talk to your therapist in a quiet room without any distractions.
What Questions Should I Ask an Online Therapist to Ensure a Good Fit?
An online therapist in Schaumburg, IL shouldn’t be the only one asking questions. It’s also important for you to ask questions to find out if he or she is the right fit. For example, you may want to ask what issues the therapist specializes in treating and how often you will meet. You might also want to find out how long he or she typically works with clients.
How Can I Prepare for My First Online Therapy Session?
First, determine what you want to get out of online therapy. Perhaps you want to learn how to raise your self-esteem or how to deal with your anger in more constructive ways. Write these goals down so that you don’t forget them. It’s also important to go into your first session with an open mind and make sure that there are no distractions around you.
Schedule a session with an online therapist in Schaumburg, IL from Lotus Wellness Center today.