Licensed Professional Counselor, Hypnotherapist
Emma Kane-Mikan, MA, NCC, LPC
One of Emma's greatest passions is to help teens and young adults develop confidence and a sense of direction within themselves so they can communicate and effectively establish a clear vision for who they would like to become. Whether this is helping in areas where they feel stuck, such as relationships, career, life transitions, or somewhere else, she strives to provide a safe environment for to express what is on their minds, learn invaluable coping skills, understand the mind-body connection and address relationship issues to build a sense of connection with themselves and others. Emma approaches working with individuals in an empathic, solution-focused, and nonjudgmental manner. She strongly feels that to help people, you must look at the entirety of a person and integrate all different aspects of their lives. She works to create an understanding and empowering environment by using humor and gentle yet direct challenges. She welcomes and appreciates feedback to maintain a collaboration. Her philosophy is that, since research has shown 80% of change in therapy is based on the therapeutic relationship between the therapist and client, the therapeutic relationship and fit are the priority.
She is also passionate about supporting teens and 20-somethings navigating stress, burnout, life transitions, identity, anxiety, depression, and trauma. From her perspective, this is a pivotal time to look inward, build insight, and creative adaptive coping.
Areas of specialtyShe utilizes evidence-based practices, including solution-focused therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Dialectical Behavior Therapy, creative approaches, person-centered therapy, strengths-based therapy, and mind-body approaches, as well as she is Trauma Focused. She also integrates hypnotherapy, equine-assisted psychotherapy, and Brainspotting when appropriate. Emma tailors her work to fit each unique client and situation.
- Participant: Telehealth for Mental Health Professionals 2-day Distance Therapy
- Participant: Peter Levine’s Somatic Experiencing - body-oriented approach to healing trauma and stress disorders
- Training: Multiple Chronic Conditions, Depression and Older Workers: An Examination of Gender and Race Disparities, Understanding Dual Diagnoses and the Use of the DM-ID2
- Training: IM+CANS – Mobile Crisis Response
- Training: United States Center for Safe Sport, Sexual Misconduct Awareness, Mandatory Reporting, Recognizing and Reporting Misconduct, Emotional and Physical Misconduct
- Training: Certified Dialectical Behavior Therapy Professional (C-DBT)
- Training: An Advanced Online Skills Training for Adapting Dialectical Behavior Therapy for Everyday Clinical Needs
- Training: Brainspotting: Phase 1
- Training: Hypnotherapy Practitioner Certificate (Hypnotherapy Mastery)
- Emma is also a doctoral student in Counselor Education and Supervision at the University of the Cumberlands, specializing in advanced counseling skills.
In her free time, Emma is a competitive equestrian and volunteers extensively in the equestrian community. She has competed for the majority of her life and is currently working through the levels of dressage. She is also an avid Disney fan and enjoys cooking and gardening.