Emotional Counseling Palatine Illinois
Emotional counseling Palatine Illinois residents trust can be helpful for almost everyone when it comes to mental wellness. Those who are dealing with emotional issues or behavioral problems can also benefit greatly from counseling as a way to work through issues that are having a negative impact on their lives.
At Lotus Wellness Center, we understand that some people may hesitate to reach out to our clinic because they think there is a stigma attached to anyone who works with a mental health therapist. They fear that if people find out, they may think the person is “crazy” or suffering from some kind of mental illness. The truth is that many people work with an emotional counselor and therapy can actually be a beneficial mental health tool for our overall wellness.
Types of Emotional Counseling Available in Palatine Illinois
The type of therapy you participate in will be based on the reasons why you are seeking counseling. While the bulk of counseling involves talking with your therapist, it also involves learning new ways to think about and handling certain situations that may leave you with negative feelings. Your counselor can teach you how to deal with feelings of anger, anxiety, fear, panic, and shyness. Therapy can also teach you how to fight against depression or low self-esteem.
Some of the more common reasons why patients seek counseling Palatine, IL patients recommend at our clinic are:
- Chronic pain or health issues
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Family or parenting issues
- Fertility issues
- Grief or loss
- Marital problems or relationship issues
- Sexual problems
There are also different kinds or forms of emotional counseling that are offered, depending on the patient’s preference, issues, and other factors:
- Behavioral therapy: Also referred to as behavior modification therapy. When a patient has a behavior that is unhealthy or unwanted, a therapist will teach the patient how to replace that behavior with a healthy one using a system of reinforcement of positive behavior and rewards.
- Cognitive therapy: Also referred to as cognitive behavior therapy. The theory with cognitive therapy is that it is a patient’s thoughts that result in their feelings and behaviors. Therapy involves teaching the patient how to change the way they think about situations so that the feelings are positive instead of negative.
- Couples counseling: Also referred to as marriage counseling, however, couples who are not married can also benefit from couples counseling. The couple works with a therapist who will teach them how to communicate better, work through their differences, and work together to solve problems and issues that come up in the relationship.
- Family counseling: The therapist will work with the family to help them identify and understand issues within the family and how to work together to resolve them. The therapist will usually have sessions with family members, as well as periodically meeting with individual members.
- Group therapy: Instead of meeting with a therapist one on one, some people find group therapy beneficial. A therapist does facilitate the group, which is usually made up of patients who have similar issues. By working together and supporting each other, members of the group help each other face their issues and work through them.
Call Our Office Today
If you are interested in learning more about emotional counseling in Palatine Illinois, call Lotus Wellness Center to schedule a consultation with one of our compassionate counselors.