If you are feeling more than just under the weather, then it may be time to consider depression therapy in Lake Zurich, IL from Lotus Wellness Center. The health of the mind is equally as important as the body, as they work together in symbiosis. Difficult feelings and personal struggles are part of the human condition, and no one should feel shame in getting help for themselves.
What is depression?
Depression is a condition that impacts your mood and everyday functioning. Symptoms can include feeling anxious, hopeless, or sad. This condition can cause trouble with memory, appetite, sleeping, and thinking. To receive a diagnosis for clinical depression, it means that you have felt worthless, low, or sad most days of the week for two weeks, in addition to other symptoms like loss of interest in hobbies, changes in appetite, and sleep problems.
Without proper treatment, depression can worsen. In severe cases, it may lead someone to self-harming or attempting suicide. Treatments are often effective in alleviating the symptoms of depression.
Is there one type of depression?
Depression encompasses several different categories. By talking with a therapist, the person struggling can receive support and an official diagnosis. During a Lake Zurich, IL depression therapy session, the therapist can identify which of the following types of depression applies to the patient:
- Bipolar Depression: alternating periods of high energy (manic) and low mood. During the low period, there may be depression symptoms such as lacking energy, hopelessness, or sadness.
- Major Depressive Disorder (MDD): clinical depression that has overwhelming symptoms that persist longer than a couple weeks may be diagnosed as MDD. Symptoms may interfere with the person’s ability to go about their daily life.
- Persistent Depressive Disorder (PDD): also referred to as dysthymia, symptoms are less severe compared to major depression. A person with PDD experiences depressive symptoms for two years or longer.
- Perinatal and Postpartum Depression: otherwise called postpartum depression, this can happen up to a year after having a child. The symptoms exceed the typical “baby blues” that can happen, where there is worry, stress, and sadness.
- Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD): this is a severe kind of premenstrual disorder (PMS), and impacts women the days or week(s) leading up to their period.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): those who experience a seasonal depression that begins in the late fall and winter but goes away when spring and summer approaches may have SAD.
Contact Lotus Wellness Center Today
Anyone struggling mentally is encouraged to speak with a therapist as soon as possible. Sometimes, all it takes is talking about what’s going on inside and having an unbiased person to guide you through it. We hope you reach out to Lotus Wellness Center today to schedule an appointment for compassionate Illinois depression therapy in Lake Zurich.