Counseling Schaumburg, IL
At the Lotus Wellness Center, we offer counseling Schaumburg, IL residents can turn to for guidance, support, and help with a broad range of issues. Our counseling services can help individuals, families, couples, and children with a broad range of issues. We understand the importance of setting practical yet collaborative goals with clients. We will monitor the progress to ensure the sessions are leading to a healthy change. Our certified counselor has assisted people with depression, anxiety, stress, eating disorders, and more. The goal is to implement strategies and techniques that ensure a positive path towards recovery and healing.
Our Goals for Clients
At the Lotus Wellness Center, we aim to provide clients with a safe, comfortable environment that allows them to explore their emotions, thoughts, and feelings with a counselor’s help. At sessions, you will find the provided space to encourage honesty and trust, which is crucial for a positive outcome.
Counseling sessions may utilize various methodologies, such as:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Solution-focused therapy
- Strength-based perspective therapy
- Dialectical behavioral therapy
- + More
Not only will the symptoms be addressed, but also behaviors and thoughts that may hinder your daily functioning will be identified. In this way, our services can offer well-rounded guidance and support that includes individualized treatment plans and monitoring progress.
What Can Counseling Help With?
Counseling comes in a limitless number of forms. At the Lotus Wellness Center, our counselors can help with:
- Stress management
- Eating disorders
- Relationship problems
- Teen issues
- Sexual abuse
- Shame or fear
- Grief or loss
- Obsessive-compulsive problems
- + More
Counseling for Children and Teens
Childhood and teenage years are crucial stages of a person’s social, emotional, physical, and spiritual growth. During these years, what is experienced can and will likely have a long-lasting effect on relationships, future goals and direction, coping skills, mental health, and more. Therefore, it is crucial to provide support and intervention for children and teens who may be facing issues such as:
- Changes in family and structure
- Confusing emotions and situations
- The transition from home to independence
- Dealing with bullies
- Low self-esteem and confidence
- Adjusting to a divorce
- Behavioral problems
- Mental health problems
- Phobias and fears
- Eating disorders
- + More
If you would like to know more about our child or teen counseling, call our center today.
Whether you are in a new or long-term relationship, you might consider counseling because you struggle with dissatisfaction, loneliness, communication problems, intimacy problems, frequent arguments, and more. Many of the behaviors are built on patterns that are difficult to identify and break without professional help. At the Lotus Wellness Center, we understand that relationships are complicated; yet they can instill joy, love, and happiness.
If you and your partner are easily defensive, feel like you’re walking on eggshells, making unfair assumptions, feeling jealous or controlling, struggling to manage extended relationships, inability to understand one another’s needs, counseling may be right for you.
Counseling for Grief and Loss
There are many feelings that can come along with grief, including regret, anger, guilt, and yearning. The emotions of losing a loved one can feel overwhelming and all-encompassing. Those who are going through grief may have various thoughts about the loss, and some may make it even harder to heal. For example, someone who lost a loved one from a fatal illness may think about how they have been taken too soon, and ask themselves why the good people may lose their lives before their time. There are two styles of grief that a person may go through, which have been briefly listed and defined here:
- Intuitive Grief: a more heightened experience emotionally, which entails sharing feelings, reflections about mortality, and exploring the relationship they lost.
- Instrumental Grief: a more focused experience, where the person grieving floods themselves with tasks to problem solve and may not be outwardly expressive or verbally emotional about the loss.
Support and Healing of Trauma
Healing from trauma can feel distressing and therapeutic. As your therapist may tell you, no reaction is “wrong” and acknowledging your emotions can enable you to process a traumatic event in a healthy way. Your therapist should make you feel safe and empower you as you work through trauma. There are various approaches to overcoming trauma, including behavior therapy, cognitive behavior therapy, pharmacotherapy, and more. Your therapist can talk with you in further detail about what to expect and what you can do at home to continue your path to recovery.
Counseling for School Bullying
Bullying is defined by unwanted acts of aggression, harassment, verbal abuse, intimidation, social exclusion, and other mistreatment between peers. Bullying happens most often in elementary and middle-school-age children, however, it can happen in high school and beyond. Children who are an ethnic, religious, or LGBTQ+ minority may be more vulnerable to experience bullying as children and young adults. Counseling for school bullying can help ward against your child developing unhealthy coping skills, anxiety, depression, PTSD, and low self-esteem.
Incidents of bullying must always be taken seriously. If you believe your child is being bullied, we strongly encourage you to get them the support they need with a reputable therapist before things escalate further. Call Lotus Wellness Center today to hear more about how a therapist can help.
We begin this life with the family we are born into. This family may be related by blood, by marriage, as adopted parents, or as a foster family. The family we acquire influences every element of our lives and how we become (whether that is for the better or worse). During a family therapy session, a counselor from Lotus Wellness Center can guide conversations between you and your family members as a way to work through disagreements and misunderstandings.
Seeking Treatment for Depression
Illinois counseling in Schaumburg from the Lotus Wellness Center may be the right decision when faced with mental health issues. It can be challenging to manage depression and other mental health conditions. The impact can change how a person functions, making it challenging to carry out even the most every day of activities. There are a variety of types of depression diagnoses that a person might experience. It’s critical to seek treatment from an experienced therapist in the Illinois area. We are here to help you; contact us to explain more about our practice and the ways we can support you.
Types of Depression
Depression can be far-reaching, impacting nearly every aspect of how a person lives their daily life. Depression is not something that a person can overcome quickly, and recovery isn’t something that happens on its own. Depression can feel like a constant weight, one that many must work proactively to fight and recover from and, when not treated, can result in more significant issues. Depression comes in multiple forms and can range in severity depending upon the diagnosis, and counseling may assist with treating:
- Major Depressive Disorder
- Persistent Depression
- Bipolar Disorder
- Postpartum Depression
- Acute Depression
- Situational Depression
- Seasonal Depression
There are many that depression might occur, and the disease is incredibly complex. This illness can have a severe impact on those who suffer from depression. Taking control of the situation is critical to ensure that those suffering from depression receive the treatment they deserve and need.
Finding a Therapist
It can be difficult for those experiencing depression or other mental health issues to take steps towards receiving treatment. However, when considering therapy, prospective patients must take the time to research a therapist in the Illinois area properly. This can ensure that you can find an experienced therapist but a professional who is the right fit for you. Here are some tips for finding a therapist in your area:
- Consider the type of counselor that you would like to seek treatment from as there are several different types of mental health professionals, including:
- Licensed Mental Health Counselors
- Social Workers
- Obtain the full list of providers in your area that are covered by your insurance
- Ask people that you know and trust for their recommendations
- Know someone in the field and ask them for a referral
- If there is a university in your area, call the psychiatry department to ask for recommendations
- Conduct Internet research
- Make sure that you choose a therapist with experience in the specified area of practice that you need support in
When seeking a therapist, it comes as no surprise that prospective patients will be feeling incredibly fragile. It will be essential to find a professional who can listen and provide support, specializing in the necessary area of practice.
Learn How Counseling Can Benefit You
When you are considering going to counseling, you may be wondering if this is the right step for you. Counseling may come with a stigma or you may think it is for people who have endured worse than you have. However, most people are surprised to find that counseling can help people who have not endured serious trauma. If you are looking into counseling and are wondering if it might benefit you, read on.
- Counseling is for the everyday person. When TV shows and movies talk about counseling, they usually show patients with very serious disorders or who have experienced terrible trauma. While counseling can be helpful for people with these problems, it is also helpful for the typical person and it is not something that you should be ashamed about. Whether you are having relationship problems or anxiety about work, counseling can benefit you.
- You may learn something. When you go into counseling, you may be surprised to learn something about yourself you did not even know. Perhaps you have not had the time to properly grieve about a loss or your counselor may ask a question you have never thought to answer.
- Your counselor can be easier to talk to. When you talk with your friends, family, or co-workers, you may be concerned about opening up because of any judgment you may face. However, your counselor is not here to judge you but to help you get answers and work through hard feelings. Often, it is easier to talk with someone you don’t know as well as opposed to your closest circles.
- You can focus on yourself. Most people are taught at a young age that it is good to care for others and make sure they are okay. However, when we continually focus on others we will not have the opportunity to help ourselves. The less we care for ourselves, the less we will have to give to others. Counseling gives you the time you need to begin filling up your own cup and taking time to self-examine.
- Therapy is not for weak people. Many people view therapy as a crutch or for people who are “weak.” This is not the case at all. When you go to therapy, you are arming yourself with the tools necessary to fight your problems head-on and to help stop future problems from happening. Allowing yourself to reflect on problems in your life can help you overcome them.
Call Lotus Wellness Center Today
We aim to treat our patients using a holistic approach. When you choose our team, you can access therapy and chiropractic care, reiki treatments, chakra balance, and alignment, to name a few. Healing shouldn’t just look at the traditional methods of therapeutic treatment for mental health. We aim to assist in the healing process by looking at the body and mind holistically. Take control of your wellness today by seeking counseling in Schaumburg, Illinois from our experienced therapeutic professionals at Lotus Wellness Center.
How to Get the Most Out of Mental Health Counseling
If you’re struggling with your mental health, you might wonder if counseling in Schaumburg, IL is the right choice for you. The truth is you get out of therapy what you put into it. Here are some tips for getting the most out of counseling.
- Schedule Your Appointments at a Good Time: When you schedule your counseling sessions matters greatly. Make appointments when you know you’ll be relaxed and can give your counselor your full attention. For example, you probably don’t want to schedule a session on your lunch hour because you may still have work on the brain.
- Determine What Your Goals Are: Before you even see a mental health counselor, you should sit down and figure out what you truly want out of therapy Perhaps you want to learn how to manage your anxiety in healthier ways. Or maybe you want to become more assertive and not allow people to walk all over you. If you have a clear understanding of your goals and discuss them with your counselor, you will get more out of counseling.
- Don’t Ever Feel Embarrassed: At first, it may be difficult to talk about your most intimate feelings and thoughts with someone you don’t know. However, you shouldn’t feel embarrassed to say anything to your counselor. He or she has likely heard it all before and won’t judge you. If you aren’t completely honest with your counselor, you might not get the help you need.
- Do Your Homework: When you attend counseling in Schaumburg, IL, you may get homework assignments from time to time. For instance, your counselor may ask you to write down all the qualities you like about yourself and which ones you’d like to change. Although this might seem tedious, it’s a necessary thing to do. You’ll get much more out of your therapy if you complete your assignments.
- Be Patient: While everyone would like to see instant results, it’s not realistic. You can’t expect to solve your problems in one or two counseling sessions. If you don’t see results as quickly as you had hoped, don’t get discouraged. Be patient and trust the process.
- Don’t Expect Your Counselor to Fix You: Too many people go into counseling in Schaumburg, IL expecting their counselor to fix them. It’s important to understand that your counselor can’t do this. You have to put the work in. Your counselor can provide you with the tools and coping mechanisms you need to improve yourself.