Counseling Schaumburg, IL
At the Lotus Wellness Center, we offer counseling Schaumburg, IL residents can turn to for guidance, support, and help with a broad range of issues. Our counseling services can help individuals, families, couples, and children with a broad range of issues. We understand the importance of setting practical yet collaborative goals with clients. We will monitor the progress to ensure the sessions are leading to a healthy change. Our certified counselor has assisted people with depression, anxiety, stress, eating disorders, and more. The goal is to implement strategies and techniques that ensure a positive path towards recovery and healing.
Our Goals for Clients
At the Lotus Wellness Center, we aim to provide clients with a safe, comfortable environment that allows them to explore their emotions, thoughts, and feelings with a counselor’s help. We value the privacy of our clients, so our sessions are completely confidential. We believe that our clients deserve to have a welcoming space where they feel at ease and comfortable enough to share their true feelings and concerns with a trusted counselor. Clients are not forced to speak about a certain topic that they are not ready to discuss. All of our sessions occur at the client’s pace. At sessions, you will find the provided space to encourage honesty and trust, which is crucial for a positive outcome.
If you are not sure what to expect during a counseling session, you don’t have to be concerned. There are several types of therapy that may be the focus of certain sessions. Counseling sessions may utilize various methodologies, such as:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Solution-focused therapy
- Strength-based perspective therapy
- Dialectical behavioral therapy
- + More
During a counseling session, you and the counselor will discuss whatever is on your mind, particularly anything urgent that has been on your mind. The focus is always on your mental health, so you can discuss anything you are comfortable with sharing. Not only will the symptoms be addressed, but also behaviors and thoughts that may hinder your daily functioning will be identified. In this way, our services can offer well-rounded guidance and support that includes individualized treatment plans and monitoring progress.
What Can Counseling Help With?
Counseling comes in a limitless number of forms. Anyone can benefit from counseling services, and they don’t have to be going through a particular issue or crisis to receive help. If you are having a hard time finding a solution to a certain problem or would simply like targeted advice on a topic, you can see a counselor to help you work through a solution. It is normal for anyone to feel like they may need support from another person. It’s okay if you feel like you can’t arrive at a solution on your own. Whatever issue you are going through, seeing a counselor is a good start to make progress. At the Lotus Wellness Center, our counselors can help with:
- Stress management
- Eating disorders
- Relationship problems
- Teen issues
- Sexual abuse
- Shame or fear
- Grief or loss
- Obsessive-compulsive problems
- + More
Counseling for Children and Teens
Childhood and teenage years are crucial stages of a person’s social, emotional, physical, and spiritual growth. During these years, what is experienced can and will likely have a long-lasting effect on relationships, future goals and direction, coping skills, mental health, and more. It is also a period of time where the topic of mental health should be carefully discussed. Unfortunately, it can be difficult for children and teens to communicate when they are experiencing mental health issues to their family and friends. Therefore, it is crucial to provide support and intervention for children and teens who may be facing issues such as:
- Changes in family and structure
- Confusing emotions and situations
- The transition from home to independence
- Dealing with bullies
- Low self-esteem and confidence
- Adjusting to a divorce
- Behavioral problems
- Mental health problems
- Phobias and fears
- Eating disorders
- + More
It can be hard to find the right way to reach a child or teenager who is in need of support due to an issue affecting their mental health. Luckily, there are resources available so that you can get them the help they need. If you would like to know more about our child or teen counseling, call our center today.
Whether you are in a new or long-term relationship, you might consider counseling because you struggle with dissatisfaction, loneliness, communication problems, intimacy problems, frequent arguments, and more. Every couple goes through challenges that impact their relationship, but sometimes they go through issues that they have a difficult time resolving on their own. It may be helpful for them to talk to an outside party and obtain their perspective. Issues in relationships are often caused by problematic behaviors that are overlooked or are not adequately addressed. Many of the behaviors are built on patterns that are difficult to identify and break without professional help. At the Lotus Wellness Center, we understand that relationships are complicated; yet they can instill joy, love, and happiness.
Some couples may find that therapy is a solution that can foster emotional growth and stability in their relationship. If you have tried other options that have not had an impact, couples counseling could be worth considering. If you and your partner are easily defensive, feel like you’re walking on eggshells, making unfair assumptions, feeling jealous or controlling, struggling to manage extended relationships, inability to understand one another’s needs, counseling may be right for you.
Counseling for Grief and Loss
There are many feelings that can come along with grief, including regret, anger, guilt, and yearning. The emotions of losing a loved one can feel overwhelming and all-encompassing. You may be going through many different emotions that you are unsure of how to process. Grief looks very different for everyone, and people have varying approaches to loss. Those who are going through grief may have various thoughts about the loss, and some may make it even harder to heal. For example, someone who lost a loved one from a fatal illness may think about how they have been taken too soon, and ask themselves why the good people may lose their lives before their time. There are two styles of grief that a person may go through, which have been briefly listed and defined here:
- Intuitive Grief: a more heightened experience emotionally, which entails sharing feelings, reflections about mortality, and exploring the relationship they lost.
- Instrumental Grief: a more focused experience, where the person grieving floods themselves with tasks to problem solve and may not be outwardly expressive or verbally emotional about the loss.
If you are struggling to cope after the loss of a loved one, a counselor can provide you the professional support that you need.
Support and Healing of Trauma
Healing from trauma can feel distressing and therapeutic. As your therapist may tell you, no reaction is “wrong” and acknowledging your emotions can enable you to process a traumatic event in a healthy way. Your therapist should make you feel safe and empower you as you work through trauma. However, the road to recovery after a traumatic experience can be long and challenging. It is very different for everyone, so the techniques that help facilitate your recovery can look different than someone else’s. There are various approaches to overcoming trauma, including behavior therapy, cognitive behavior therapy, pharmacotherapy, and more. It may take some time to determine what is effective for you. Your therapist can talk with you in further detail about what to expect and what you can do at home to continue your path to recovery.
Counseling for School Bullying
Bullying is defined by unwanted acts of aggression, harassment, verbal abuse, intimidation, social exclusion, and other mistreatment between peers. Bullying happens most often in elementary and middle-school-age children, however, it can happen in high school and beyond. Children who are an ethnic, religious, or LGBTQ+ minority may be more vulnerable to experience bullying as children and young adults. Counseling for school bullying can help ward against your child developing unhealthy coping skills, anxiety, depression, PTSD, and low self-esteem.
Incidents of bullying must always be taken seriously. If you believe your child is being bullied, we strongly encourage you to get them the support they need with a reputable therapist before things escalate further. Call Lotus Wellness Center today to hear more about how a therapist can help.
We begin this life with the family we are born into. This family may be related by blood, by marriage, as adopted parents, or as a foster family. The family we acquire influences every element of our lives and how we become (whether that is for the better or worse). During a family therapy session, a counselor from Lotus Wellness Center can guide conversations between you and your family members as a way to work through disagreements and misunderstandings.
Seeking Treatment for Depression
Illinois counseling in Schaumburg from the Lotus Wellness Center may be the right decision when faced with mental health issues. It can be challenging to manage depression and other mental health conditions. The impact can change how a person functions, making it challenging to carry out even the most every day of activities. There are a variety of types of depression diagnoses that a person might experience. It’s critical to seek treatment from an experienced therapist in the Illinois area. We are here to help you; contact us to explain more about our practice and the ways we can support you.
Types of Depression
Depression can be far-reaching, impacting nearly every aspect of how a person lives their daily life. Depression is not something that a person can overcome quickly, and recovery isn’t something that happens on its own. Depression can feel like a constant weight, one that many must work proactively to fight and recover from and, when not treated, can result in more significant issues. Depression comes in multiple forms and can range in severity depending upon the diagnosis, and counseling may assist with treating:
- Major Depressive Disorder
- Persistent Depression
- Bipolar Disorder
- Postpartum Depression
- Acute Depression
- Situational Depression
- Seasonal Depression
There are many that depression might occur, and the disease is incredibly complex. This illness can have a severe impact on those who suffer from depression. Taking control of the situation is critical to ensure that those suffering from depression receive the treatment they deserve and need.
Finding a Therapist
It can be difficult for those experiencing depression or other mental health issues to take steps towards receiving treatment. However, when considering therapy, prospective patients must take the time to research a therapist in the Illinois area properly. This can ensure that you can find an experienced therapist but a professional who is the right fit for you. Here are some tips for finding a therapist in your area:
- Consider the type of counselor that you would like to seek treatment from as there are several different types of mental health professionals, including:
- Licensed Mental Health Counselors
- Social Workers
- Obtain the full list of providers in your area that are covered by your insurance
- Ask people that you know and trust for their recommendations
- Know someone in the field and ask them for a referral
- If there is a university in your area, call the psychiatry department to ask for recommendations
- Conduct Internet research
- Make sure that you choose a therapist with experience in the specified area of practice that you need support in
When seeking a therapist, it comes as no surprise that prospective patients will be feeling incredibly fragile. It will be essential to find a professional who can listen and provide support, specializing in the necessary area of practice.
Learn How Counseling Can Benefit You
When you are considering going to counseling, you may be wondering if this is the right step for you. Counseling may come with a stigma or you may think it is for people who have endured worse than you have. However, most people are surprised to find that counseling can help people who have not endured serious trauma. If you are looking into counseling and are wondering if it might benefit you, read on.
- Counseling is for the everyday person. When TV shows and movies talk about counseling, they usually show patients with very serious disorders or who have experienced terrible trauma. While counseling can be helpful for people with these problems, it is also helpful for the typical person and it is not something that you should be ashamed about. Whether you are having relationship problems or anxiety about work, counseling can benefit you.
- You may learn something. When you go into counseling, you may be surprised to learn something about yourself you did not even know. Perhaps you have not had the time to properly grieve about a loss or your counselor may ask a question you have never thought to answer.
- Your counselor can be easier to talk to. When you talk with your friends, family, or co-workers, you may be concerned about opening up because of any judgment you may face. However, your counselor is not here to judge you but to help you get answers and work through hard feelings. Often, it is easier to talk with someone you don’t know as well as opposed to your closest circles.
- You can focus on yourself. Most people are taught at a young age that it is good to care for others and make sure they are okay. However, when we continually focus on others we will not have the opportunity to help ourselves. The less we care for ourselves, the less we will have to give to others. Counseling gives you the time you need to begin filling up your own cup and taking time to self-examine.
- Therapy is not for weak people. Many people view therapy as a crutch or for people who are “weak.” This is not the case at all. When you go to therapy, you are arming yourself with the tools necessary to fight your problems head-on and to help stop future problems from happening. Allowing yourself to reflect on problems in your life can help you overcome them.
Call Lotus Wellness Center Today
We aim to treat our patients using a holistic approach. When you choose our team, you can access therapy and chiropractic care, reiki treatments, chakra balance, and alignment, to name a few. Healing shouldn’t just look at the traditional methods of therapeutic treatment for mental health. We aim to assist in the healing process by looking at the body and mind holistically. Take control of your wellness today by seeking counseling in Schaumburg, Illinois from our experienced therapeutic professionals at Lotus Wellness Center.
How to Get the Most Out of Mental Health Counseling
If you’re struggling with your mental health, you might wonder if counseling in Schaumburg, IL is the right choice for you. The truth is you get out of therapy what you put into it. Here are some tips for getting the most out of counseling.
- Schedule Your Appointments at a Good Time: When you schedule your counseling sessions matters greatly. Make appointments when you know you’ll be relaxed and can give your counselor your full attention. For example, you probably don’t want to schedule a session on your lunch hour because you may still have work on the brain.
- Determine What Your Goals Are: Before you even see a mental health counselor, you should sit down and figure out what you truly want out of therapy Perhaps you want to learn how to manage your anxiety in healthier ways. Or maybe you want to become more assertive and not allow people to walk all over you. If you have a clear understanding of your goals and discuss them with your counselor, you will get more out of counseling.
- Don’t Ever Feel Embarrassed: At first, it may be difficult to talk about your most intimate feelings and thoughts with someone you don’t know. However, you shouldn’t feel embarrassed to say anything to your counselor. He or she has likely heard it all before and won’t judge you. If you aren’t completely honest with your counselor, you might not get the help you need.
- Do Your Homework: When you attend counseling in Schaumburg, IL, you may get homework assignments from time to time. For instance, your counselor may ask you to write down all the qualities you like about yourself and which ones you’d like to change. Although this might seem tedious, it’s a necessary thing to do. You’ll get much more out of your therapy if you complete your assignments.
- Be Patient: While everyone would like to see instant results, it’s not realistic. You can’t expect to solve your problems in one or two counseling sessions. If you don’t see results as quickly as you had hoped, don’t get discouraged. Be patient and trust the process.
- Don’t Expect Your Counselor to Fix You: Too many people go into counseling in Schaumburg, IL expecting their counselor to fix them. It’s important to understand that your counselor can’t do this. You have to put the work in. Your counselor can provide you with the tools and coping mechanisms you need to improve yourself.
How Should You Get Started with Counseling?
It can be daunting to recognize that you need help and then make the decision to seek it out. This is very important for your mental health, though, and for moving forward in your life. Counseling can greatly improve your mental health and wellbeing, which affects every aspect of your life. Your mental health can affect your physical wellbeing. People eat well and work out to be healthy and get into a good routine. Counseling can be a great way to keep up with your mental health and improve this aspect of your life. Even if you feel that everything is good, a routine tune-up to check in with yourself is always a good thing and can benefit your own life and your interpersonal relationships as well.
To get started with a counselor, all you have to do is give the Lotus Wellness Center a call to get set up with a licensed counselor. We will do our best to match you with someone who will get along with you well and be able to help with your specific life circumstances. You are welcome to set up a consultation to meet and see what you will do in counseling and whether you should come alone or with a partner or close family member. We will customize everything to your life and circumstances so that you can get the greatest benefit from counseling. We will also work with your schedule so that you can speak with someone at a convenient time. The hardest part is just getting started. Give one of our compassionate counselors a call today to get started. Everything will be completely confidential and received by someone who will listen to what you would like and set up your first session. The workers at Lotus Wellness Center know that life is complicated and can be difficult. We are here to help.
Contact Lotus Wellness Center Today
Reach out to us today so that you can begin getting your life back. Counseling can work wonders in people’s lives. You don’t always get to control what happens to you in life, but you do have the option to get help to cope with the difficult things when they happen. By contacting a counselor in Illinois from Lotus Wellness Center, you are taking a step to making life better. We will work hard to find a way to help you heal from the unfair cards life has dealt to you. We can find coping mechanisms and ways to help relieve the extra stress that has come into your life. This often also gives you the tools you need to cope if something should come up in the future. Don’t hesitate to reach out — we are here to help today.
What Are The Facts Behind Court-Ordered Marriage Counseling?
If you intend to get divorced, you might wonder if a judge will require marriage counseling as a precondition of your request. Here’s what you should know regarding this possibility.
Odds of Receiving Court-Ordered Marriage Counseling
Luckily, it’s rare for courts to order divorcing couples to undergo counseling. Compelled therapy is usually a waste of time and money. For this reason, it is most often not mandated.
Because of no-fault laws, many states don’t require that marriage counseling happen, even when one spouse wants it. Exceptions are sometimes made for domestic abuse victims, whereas counseling would otherwise be necessary.
What Happens During Court-Ordered Marriage Counseling?
Court-ordered marriage counseling is exactly like voluntary marriage counseling sessions. Sometimes, it’s requested by the non-filing partner as part of an attempt to salvage the relationship. Other times, a judge demands marriage counseling based on an understanding of a couple’s situation. Some states perform assessments of marriages to determine whether there is any chance of saving a marital union.
Courts usually require a specific number of sessions to be completed or that both partners attend counseling for a particular period. In Florida, for instance, judges can request that divorcing petitioners submit to counseling for up to 3 months.
Attendance is required and reported back to the court. Like the choice to require marriage counseling, a judge determines who is responsible for paying to receive the therapist’s expertise.
Are there Alternatives to Court-Ordered Marriage Counseling?
Be aware that marriage counseling is only one type of court-ordered counseling. There are others that you might be forced to accept.
Divorce counseling is like marriage counseling, except there is the understanding that the union will terminate. This type of session allows both parties to air their feelings in a safe environment and facilitates better communication through to the conclusion of separation.
Before deciding on custody arrangements, a judge might require one or both parents to undergo parenting education classes. These sessions are often able to help mothers and fathers understand the impact of divorce on their children.
Family counseling is another possibility. A judge might demand therapy sessions where the entire clan must attend. These sessions can include extended family members in addition to the divorcing couple and their children.
Sometimes, courts order counseling that goes against a recipient’s best interests. Reversing a judge’s decision requires a skilled family lawyer. Hire one with the ability to spur a change that’s in your favor.