Counseling Inverness, IL
When dealing with the stressors of life, you may be looking for the right kind of counseling Inverness, IL offers. At the Lotus Wellness Center, we understand that time is tough for people emotionally, especially right now. You may be going through different hardships like financial struggles, difficulties dealing with the loss of a loved one, or you may not be able to pinpoint exactly what is causing your sadness and anxiety. Whatever you are feeling, know that you do not need to show up to counseling with the answers. We will work with you to help you discover answers to why you may be feeling a certain way and how you can learn to deal with and cope with your emotions. Interested in seeing if counseling is right for you? Please call us now.
Choosing to go to counseling
Deciding that counseling may be right for you is not easy. You may take a while to come to terms with the fact that counseling can help you. In some cases, depression and anxiety are a result of the circumstances you are in. Once these circumstances change, you may feel “back to normal” and ready to move on. However, if that is not the case for you, that’s okay. It means you may need extra help to get through a difficult situation. You may be wondering: what are some signs that it is time to go to counseling? Consider the following:
- You have noticed that your mood, attitude, or thoughts are beginning to negatively affect essential things in your life, like your relationships, your work, or your school.
- You spend a great deal of time thinking about your life’s problems, but you haven’t found a way to make these problems go away.
- You have found ways to help you cope with your life issues, but they involve bad habits, like drinking or harming yourself.
- You are concerned that the only way to get rid of your life’s problems is to end your life.
Our Inverness, Illinois counseling center is here when you need us. We understand that overwhelming feelings cause you to become anxious or exhausted. You may even feel so uncomfortable that you don’t want to be around other people. This isn’t always easy to deal with, and you should not have to go through that on your own.
Are you interested in learning more about how counseling could help you? Give the trusted Inverness, IL counseling team at the Lotus Wellness Center a try by calling our office now.
Preparing for Mental Health Counseling
Counseling Inverness, IL residents depend on from the Lotus Wellness Center may be a way to begin managing feelings of depression and the symptoms that come with it. Depression can come in many forms, and it will be important that those living with depression make an effort to manage their illness. Unfortunately, avoiding the problem may only make matters worse, and some acute situations may become persistent over time, resulting in severe clinical depression. Working with one of our trusted and experienced clinicians can provide several strategies for coping with depression. While the first appointment with a counselor may be daunting, it’s a step in the right direction towards better wellness. Our team can help take the guesswork out of taking the first step towards seeking treatment by preparing you for what to expect from your first appointment. We understand that the process of healing can be a long and arduous path, and we are here to support you every step of the way.
Coping with Depression
Depression can take on several forms; in many situations, depression may be acute, resulting in feelings of loss, worthlessness, and more. This can impact a person’s everyday life, and when the proper steps are not taken, the condition can become persistent. Accessing counseling in Inverness, IL, can help patients develop coping skills and appropriately manage their condition. However, when left untreated or when a person is unable to cope adequately, their condition may worsen, resulting in significant or persistent depressive disorders. Depending upon how depression is presenting and impacting you, many strategies may be recommended, including:
- Seeking therapy
- Developing a strong network of supports
- Practicing wellness
- Engaging in activities, you used to enjoy
- Keeping stress under control
It can be easy for someone experiencing mental health issues to try to avoid the issue. Despite your best efforts, this may result in more profound problems that can be incredibly impactful to how a person functions on an everyday basis. Our team of clinicians will work to assist patients in practicing mindfulness, focusing on relaxation, building coping skills, and increasing overall life satisfaction.
What to Expect of Your First Appointment
Navigating the challenges of life can feel overwhelming, and for those living with depression, even the most menial tasks can feel challenging. Once you have chosen a therapist and scheduled a session, the first therapy appointment may be one such situation. In some cases, understanding what to expect from the first counseling session may help demystify the process and ease some of the anxiety you may be experiencing. Keep in mind the following when preparing for your first appointment with our team:
- You will have some paperwork to fill out. This may be sent to you before the appointment or completed at the time of the meeting. Your counselor will ask that you provide HIPAA releases, insurance information, consent to treat, and more.
- Your therapist will outline their approach to treatment
- Prepare to answer a lot of questions about your symptoms
- Information about your history
- An established course of treatment, including the frequency of visits
- You may experience a rollercoaster of emotions
- It may take some time to feel comfortable
Unfortunately, many may be resistant to treatment from a therapist or continue to put off finding an experienced professional. As a result, prospective patients may see their condition worsen, which may cause more outstanding issues and a more significant impact on a person’s life and those who love them. The Lotus Wellness Center can help you navigate life’s challenges and get on the road to healing and better wellness. At our practice, we apply a holistic approach to your treatment and partner with you to achieve your therapeutic goals. To receive counseling offered in Inverness, Illinois, schedule an intake with our office today.
Mistakes to Avoid When Going to Counseling
If you’re struggling with your mental health, you may have decided to go to counseling in Inverness, IL. Speaking to a stranger about your problems may be intimidating at first, but it can be very beneficial. Here are some common mistakes you should avoid when going to counseling.
- Not Being Completely Honest: Whether you’re going to counseling for depression or obsessive-compulsive disorder, it’s important to be truthful with your counselor. If you leave certain details out, your counselor can’t help you to the best of his or her ability. You shouldn’t feel too embarrassed to tell your counselor anything because he or she has heard it all before. Remember that your counselor is there to help you, not judge you.
- Expecting a Quick Fix: While it would be great if a counselor could solve all of your problems in one session, it’s just not realistic. It takes considerable time and patience to work through your issues. If you expect a quick fix from counseling, you are only setting yourself up for disappointment.
- Not Doing Your Homework: During counseling in Inverness, IL, your counselor may assign you homework to complete at home. For instance, he or she may ask you to write about your feelings in a journal every day. Although this homework might seem tedious at times, it’s designed for your best interest in mind. To get the most out of counseling, you should always complete the homework your counselor assigns you.
- Waiting Too Long to Seek Counseling: A mistake many people make is waiting too long to seek help. They might wait to see if their problems go away before you go to counseling. This is a big mistake. Most mental health problems rarely go away on their own, so professional help is often necessary. If you are truly struggling with your mental health, don’t wait any longer to see a counselor.
- Thinking You Can’t Afford Counseling: Unfortunately, some people who may truly benefit from counseling in Inverness, IL don’t consider it because they don’t believe they can afford it. However, counseling is more affordable than you think and is a great investment. Many health insurance companies also cover it.
- Not Speaking Up When You Disagree With Your Counselor: There may be times when you don’t agree with what your counselor says, and that’s perfectly alright. However, you should always speak up when this happens.