Reasons to Seek Counseling in Palatine, IL
A Palatine, IL counseling office knows that being in a relationship can be one of the most difficult but rewarding things in life. In a reciprocal, two-way, caring relationship, you might truly enjoy spending time with each other and have open communication if an issue comes up. This does not happen in all relationships, however. Often, thoughts and feelings go unsaid and it can be hard to voice what either of you would like in the relationship. Marital problems can quickly increase your stress level. If you and your partner have been at odds, it may make sense to seek the help of a professional. The Lotus Wellness Center may be able to help you and your partner share your troubles and find common ground through Palatine, IL counseling. It is common for two people in a relationship to go through rough periods, getting the help that you need early on will give you a greater chance of being able to repair the issues coming up in your relationship.
Working at a relationship can take time and care, and when you seek counseling in Palatine, IL, you know you are getting the care you need at the Lotus Wellness Center. We can help you and your significant other build a sturdy foundation for your relationship to last. If you would like to set up your appointment with us today, call our office now.
How Do You Know If You And Your Partner Need Counseling?
Taking the first step toward fixing your relationship can be incredibly difficult. Not only do you understand that something needs to be fixed between the two of you, but you might need professional help to do so. So, how do you know if it’s time to seek help from a Palatine, Illinois counseling office? It can be hard to make the choice to go to couples counseling. When you make that choice, it can feel like you are admitting that something is wrong in your partnership or that things aren’t going well. It can also be confusing if you do not know what to expect or how to get the process started. You both must decide to go, you have to figure out if insurance will cover it, you have to commit to a time that fits everyone’s schedules, and you want to like your counselor. All of these things together can seem daunting.
If you and your partner are unsure of whether couples counseling is right for you, below you will find a series of statements that can help point you in the right direction.
- Trust has been broken. Many times, couples will attend therapy because there is a need to overcome some breach of trust. This breach of trust can come in many forms, including emotional affairs with another person, infidelity through a sexual affair, or even lies regarding family finances. Whatever the breach of trust was, it can be very hard to rebuild. However, counseling can help rebuild that foundation of trust so that both parties can begin establishing the base of trust to work on their relationship.
- Communication is lacking. Perhaps you feel like there is a communication divide with your partner. It seems that you have no idea what is going on in their work life or what your partner is feeling lately. You might even believe that what you say or feel is often ignored or even misunderstood. Counseling offers a safe space for both parties to freely talk about their thoughts and feelings. It can be a place to help you reconnect and truly listen to one another.
- You argue about the same thing. Over and over again. This one might not seem like a big deal. Every couple has fights. But the occasional fight can turn into nagging and begrudging. Have you told him that those mugs are hand wash only and can’t go in the dishwasher? Why is he loading them in there again? Perhaps you’ve told her that you are tired of her getting home from work late when the kids are already asleep and the food you prepared is cold. One of the greatest issues here is that the way you are communicating could be wrong for the person you are trying to communicate with. Does it seem like you have more conflicts in your life instead of joyous moments? These conflicts could take the form of smaller arguments or disagreements littered throughout the day, or huge fights that leave you seething or in tears. While arguing or disagreeing with your significant other is nothing out of the ordinary, and increase in these arguments or not being able to remember the last time you weren’t fighting is a sign you should visit a counselor.
- You hold onto grudges. All relationships have problems. Words have been said that cannot be taken back. Perhaps you are projecting this relationship perfection you see on social media on your relationship and it isn’t living up to those standards. Whatever the grudge is, it is a result of being unable to talk through past differences and feelings to come out stronger on the other side. This can greatly sabotage a relationship.
- You would rather do anything else than have sex. You might feel that the emotional intimacy (or the “spark”) is gone. Perhaps you are both having sexual issues. This could be seen as going from frequent and regular sex to irregular or no sex. Emotionally you might feel incompatible or like you are both growing apart. Palatine, IL counseling can help pinpoint the problems in these areas and discuss ways that they can be rebuilt. When your partner tries to make a move on you, you might come up with any excuse not to have sex. Or perhaps it’s the other way around and you don’t understand where the spark went. If there has been a large decline in your sexual relationship and physical affection, there’s usually more at the root of the problem than being tired or sick all the time.
Key Questions to Ask a Prospective Palatine, IL Therapist
When in the market for a good therapist, it is important to do your research. You will want to ensure that you find a professional who is experienced and credentialed. Once you have narrowed down your options, it will be important that you either speak with the therapist by phone or meet with them in person. You will want to make sure that the therapist feels like a good fit for both you and your partner. Here are some important questions to ask a prospective therapist when you speak with them:
- What are their beliefs and values?
- What is their experience?
- What is their perspective on divorce and separation?
- You will want to find out if they accept your insurance
- What is their therapeutic approach?
- What are your credentials?
- What will happen at a typical therapy session?
Taking the time to ask a therapist questions about their beliefs and therapeutic practice will help when making a decision.
Signs You Should Call a Therapist
Relationship problems can impact all aspects of your life. You and your partner are supposed to support one another, love one another, and listen to one another. When this is missing, it can leave a person feeling lonely and lost. Here are some easy signs to identify when it may be time to seek counseling in Palatine, IL from a professional:
- You and your partner are no longer communicating with each other.
- When any type of communication involves some sort of argument, it may be a good idea to contact a therapist.
- If you are constantly worried that communication will lead to an argument, or you are emotionally impacted in a negative way.
- By cutting off communication with one another, you lack the ability to discuss any. problems in the relationship.
- If you are considering an affair
- If you are unable to see the way in which you are contributing negatively to the relationship.
- Playing the blame game when everything is your partner’s fault.
There are a number of reasons to engage in couples counseling. Relationship issues are more common than most people realize. The sooner you and your partner take the plunge, the better chance you will have at repairing your relationship.
Finding the Right Counseling in Palatine, IL Through the Lotus Wellness Center
Coming to terms with the fact that you need to go to couples counseling can be a huge step in healing your relationship. Although it can seem scary at first, one of our dedicated counselors can walk you through issues you are having and determine what is causing them. It can be stressful and exhausting when you are not getting along with your partner. The impact can be widespread as it can have a serious impact on everyone living in your home, especially your children. We are dedicated to helping you and your partner build upon your strengths as a couple. Call the Lotus Wellness Center for counseling in Palatine, IL.