Online Counseling Palatine, IL
When you are looking for online counseling Palatine, IL offers during difficult times, you should turn to Lotus Wellness Center. A place that people have trusted for years, Lotus Wellness Center is here to offer you support through tools and technology like never before. Especially when you are unable to leave your home, you may feel your stress and anxieties building up and you may be unsure of how to deal with them. This is where we come in. We want you to know that we are here for you even if you cannot come to our physical building. To see how Palatine, Illinois online counseling can be helpful to you, please call to schedule your appointment.
What should you know before choosing an online therapist?
We understand that finding a therapist, in general, can be daunting. Choosing to pursue online counseling in Palatine, IL is an even bigger step. This is why we want you to be equipped with the right questions and information as you look at therapists. Below, we have a few questions that will get you started on the path to finding the therapist that is right for you.
- Will my information be confidential? This is an important question and when you are looking for online counseling in Palatine, IL you want to know that the information you are sharing is safe. There are very few situations where the information you provide to your therapist would not be kept confidential. If you have any concerns about that, you can speak openly with your therapist.
- How do I pay? It helps to get business out of the way sooner rather than later when it comes to your Palatine, Illinois online counseling sessions. Instead of worrying about how to pay during your sessions, speak with our team before getting started and see what your insurance will cover or if your work will reimburse you for sessions.
- Will this be less effective online than in-person? You may be concerned that your therapy session will be less effective if it is online because it will be harder for our therapists to read your body language. Speak with us before or during your appointment to let us know of any anxieties you have and we are happy to have an open dialogue to make your appointment as comfortable and informative as possible.
If you would like to learn more about our online Palatine, IL counseling sessions, please give Lotus Wellness Center a call at your earliest convenience.
Benefits of Online Counseling
While online counseling Palatine, IL residents trust may have been thought of as strange once, it is becoming a common practice nowadays. More and more people are choosing to attend online therapy. Here are some of the benefits of online therapy.
- Accessibility: Not everyone lives in big cities and towns and has access to mental health counseling services. They might have to drive for hours just to see a counselor for an hour. Some individuals may also be physically disabled and have trouble leaving their homes. In either situation, online counseling is a great option. People can speak to a licensed counselor without leaving the comfort of their home.
- Convenience: People with busy schedules who may not have the time to attend in-person counseling sessions can also benefit from online counseling. Because you will be attending these sessions from your home, you will likely be able to schedule them for times that are most convenient for you. If you are only available in the late evening, for example, ask your counselor if you can schedule online sessions during those times.
- Affordability: If you attend online counseling in Palatine, IL, you may also save money. Online therapists typically have fewer overhead costs, like renting office space and hiring receptionists. They are often the more affordable option for patients who may not have health insurance.
- Openness: People who are shy or reserved may be nervous about talking to a counselor face-to-face. They are not comfortable opening up to a stranger and may remain closed off. If this sounds like you, online counseling may be ideal. When you’re talking to your counselor behind a computer, you may feel more comfortable opening up.
Common Myths About Online Counseling
While online counseling in Palatine, IL has been around for some time, there are still several misconceptions about it such as:
- Online Counseling Is Not As Effective As In-Person Counseling: At first, online counseling sessions may seem impersonal and not as effective as in-person counseling. However, as long as you find a therapist you connect with, online counseling can be just as effective as in-office counseling.
- Online Counseling Isn’t Secure: As long as you are in a room by yourself and not using a public network, online counseling is very secure. None of the sessions are recorded. You should feel comfortable sharing anything with your online counselor.
It Is Easy to Become Distracted During Online Counseling: You get what you put into online therapy. If you are truly committed, you will not be any more distracted than you would be in an in-person counseling session. Make sure that you’re in a private room with no one around you and turn off your notifications for emails and text messages so that you stay on track.
What will make the difference in my therapy?
As a Palatine, IL Online counseling therapist from Lotus Wellness Center knows, online therapy has been an available platform for many years, but surged in popularity particularly during the arrival of covid-19. So today, we have more than enough online options for therapy if we need support. Online therapy can provide a convenient and affordable option for people who are struggling with their mental health. It is not only important to meet with a qualified therapist, but the positive outcomes you have will depend on how engaged you are and your perspective throughout the process. To put it simply, It is not enough to just show up and expect change to happen when you have not put your entire self into the experience.
How can I find the right therapist for me?
Therapy can feel emotionally vulnerable, so having a therapist you are comfortable around is key. You are going to share some of your deepest fears, regrets, traumas, and hopes, so you have to feel safe when they are revealed. A good Palatine online counseling therapist wants to get to know you genuinely, doesn’t judge or push you emotionally, maintains clear boundaries related to confidentiality and administrative fees or schedules, and makes you feel like your thoughts and emotions matter.
Where is the best place for online therapy?
Choose somewhere quiet where you are least likely to be interrupted without much background noise. Bring tissues, pen, and paper. If you are going to be discussing triggering topics, you may want to have a comfort item with you, like a comfortable pillow or blanket. Consider having the online therapy session at the same day, time, and location each week so it provides you with a sense of consistency and you are less likely to forget.
Should I schedule the rest of the day off?
Some people can have therapy and then go about the rest of their day as normal. But others may need time to decompress after sharing their innermost thoughts and feelings. Tradition in-person therapy offers a transitional period inherently. You sit in the waiting room before your session and get to think about what you want to discuss, and then afterwards you may reflect on what you shared while driving home. With online therapy, you may need to set aside time before and after so that you can get mentally prepared and unwind afterwards.
Won’t it feel awkward to have therapy virtually?
Most of us have had to use virtual tools during covid-19 to attend meetings, show up for class, and socialize with family members or friends. Through this experience we have all become familiar with how this can feel awkward at times, especially if the screen freezes, you don’t realize you were muted/unmuted, or the call drops when you are right in the middle of saying something meaningful. While your therapist will do everything possible to ward against interruptions, if they do happen, stay flexible and know that your therapist is still there for you despite the technological hiccup!
To hear more about the online therapy we offer, contact a Palatine online counseling therapist from Lotus Wellness Center as soon as you can.