Addiction Therapy Palatine, IL
The decision to see a therapist for addiction therapy in Palatine, IL at Lotus Wellness Center is very personal. It is a decision that should be based on your own desire to change the pattern you are in. While there are some people who may be stuck in thinking that therapy for addiction does not work, there are many more who will say it does.
People who are recovering from addictions often need a strong support system to overcome their struggles. Our therapists have vast experience assisting those dealing with drug and alcohol issues, eating disorders, gambling problems, and more. Our therapists provide a judgement-free space for people to talk about their recovery. Our team offers compassionate therapy for addicts in both crisis situations and those managing long-term addiction.
Why Therapy Can Help with Addiction
Therapy or counseling can be beneficial for a myriad of issues, including struggles with addiction. A therapist in Palatine, IL for addiction therapy can help treat your challenges by using various approaches, such as talk therapy, mindfulness, hypnotherapy, reiki, and much more. The following list includes the more common diagnoses and life changes that bring people to see a member of our team at Lotus Wellness Center:
- Bipolar disorder
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Negative thought patterns
- Domestic abuse
- Difficulty conceiving
- Physical ailments
- Illness of a loved one
- Behavioral issues with a child
- Couples counseling
- Substance abuse
Reasons to Seek Therapy for Addiction
The number one reason to seek therapy is so that you can live the best life possible. That may sound cliché and hokey but it is simple logic. There are times where we legitimately face seemingly impossible obstacles in life and just need to talk it out in a safe space. When provided the opportunity to verbally process difficult subjects, one can begin to see the issue in a more realistic and manageable way. Ultimately, in making the decision to pursue better mental health, you are choosing yourself.
Establishing Trust and Alliance
The choice to get treatment for an addiction is not an easy one. In fact, it requires significant effort and conscious awareness on behalf of the person to get started with their recovery. A therapist who practices addiction therapy in Palatine at Lotus Wellness Center strives to establish a sense of trust and alliance with patients, so they feel assured that their best interests are a priority at all times. We acknowledge that this trust can take time to develop. We want patients to feel comfortable talking openly during therapy sessions, and to feel some degree of relief after appointments. Then, we hope that they continue to come back so we can support them during their recovery.
Our therapists focus on establishing trust and alliance through:
- Being attentive during every therapy session
- Empathizing with patient struggles
- Making sure patients know we prioritize their well being
- Offering strategies and coping skills to use during recovery
Bringing Issues to Light
Overcoming an addiction can be very challenging, and most patients take many years to reach a place of recovery. Sometimes, patients seeking help don’t recognize when they are contributing to their own patterns of addiction, or aren’t fully committed to the process of recovery. There may be times when we gently encourage patients to reflect on their behavior and actions with warmth, genuineness, respect, empathy, and without judgement. Our therapists for Palatine addiction therapy understand that every patient is different, and will do what we can to adapt our style to meet the needs of that person.
Due to the chronic and repeating nature of addiction cycles, a number of people will relapse at least once during their recovery. However, relapse doesn’t mean that the patient has failed. Instead, it is an indication that treatment needs to be adjusted to best help what the patient is struggling with. After the choice to get help is made, patients can learn skills and coping mechanisms at Lotus Wellness Center, to decrease the chances of relapse. Avoiding relapse takes much more than simply a strong willpower to say no to substances or other addictive behaviors.
During Illinoise addiction therapy in Palatine, we can create a comprehensive plan of relapse prevention, so the patient feels more geared with tools to combat their addiction after leaving the therapy session. We may tailor treatment based on the patient and what stage he or she is at in recovery. But, in general, we focus on these elements for the relapse prevention plan:
- Writing down a list of other therapists, friends, and family who can be a support system during the patient’s recovery and in the event of a relapse
- An emergency plan if relapse does occur
- A report of the patient’s past relapses and the substance or behavior that is the topic of addiction
- Changes in lifestyle that a patient can incorporate that prioritizes their mental and physical health
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
After deciding to seek addiction therapy in the Illinois area, you may wonder, what is the next step? The answer is to find a therapist who will best suit you and your needs. There are some key things to consider in order to get to the best fit for you:
- Specialty- Find a therapist who has experience with problems and issues similar to the ones you are dealing with. You would not see a heart surgeon for a knee replacement so why would you see a couple’s counselor for depression? Rest assured, all of our staff at Lotus Wellness Center are licensed mental health professionals.
- Insurance coverage- If you have insurance, we can check to see if the care you are seeking from us can be covered under your plan.
- Out of pocket options- If money is an issue, we can offer you several flexible payment options so that you can still get the treatment you desire right away.
- Gender considerations- You may want to ask yourself, are you more comfortable speaking with a man or a woman? There are no judgements regarding your answer, but please let us know when booking your therapy session so we can find the best match for you.
What to Expect From the Process
The key word here is process. Going to your first session for therapy is your starting point. It is important to keep in mind that this is not a contest nor is it a race. Rather, it is an opportunity for you to really explore hurdles that you are facing or have faced and how that is currently impacting your everyday life and ability to thrive. If you want to know more, please do not hesitate to reach out to a therapist about IL addiction therapy from Lotus Wellness Center.