Addiction Therapy Palatine, IL
When you seek addiction therapy in Palatine, IL, you can feel confident in knowing that you’re taking the right steps towards a healthy, balanced recovery. These therapists act as a support system for those who may be suffering from an addiction to alcohol or drugs, gambling, and other behavioral issues. By building a foundation of trust and honesty with each patient, an addiction therapist in Palatine, Illinois can offer compassionate support, knowledge, resources, and unbiased guidance.
Addiction therapy in Palatine, IL can help those who are having a crisis or manage their addiction or recovery issues. To learn more about our services, please call the Lotus Wellness Center.
Establishing an Alliance
Deciding to go to therapy for an addiction is typically not easy. It often requires trust between the therapist and the patient. As such, it is important the addiction therapist is especially considerate in creating a bond with the patient; this is also known as the therapeutic alliance.
The therapeutic alliance is considered to be the trust that a patient feels with their therapist. When this alliance is established, the patient can feel peace of mind in knowing their interests are at the forefront. Furthermore, a trusted patient-therapist relationship can continue even when there might be a tribulation or trial. Eventually, the patient will feel free to talk openly about various issues during their addiction therapy sessions in Palatine, IL and feel a desire to return to them on a regular basis.
In addiction therapy Palatine, IL has to offer, your therapist will build an alliance by ensuring that:
- You understand your wellbeing is in good hands
- They provide you with the care and attention you deserve
- They empathize with what you are going through
- They understand the core issues that may have a role in your addiction
- The relationship you have with your therapist will act as a key factor in your addiction management or recovery.
- Encouraging a healthy recovery
Recovering from an addiction takes an ample amount of dedication, courage, and strength. Many people who abuse or are addicted to a substance don’t realize their own patterns of abuse or are unsure about getting treatment. In addiction therapy in Palatine, IL, your therapist will seek to enhance the motivation to change. Some attributes your therapist might have include:
With these, you, as the patient, can feel peace of mind in knowing that your interests are being looked after in a way that supports your desire to recover from an addiction. Your therapist will do more than listen, teach, and offer advice. Rather, he or she will help you to understand problematic behaviors, underlying reasons for using, and aftercare prevention strategies. Your therapist will guide you into a practical recovery, empower you to take action, and encourage you to make the necessary changes needed to maintain your goals and objectives of the Palatine, Illinois addiction therapy sessions.
Choosing the Lotus Wellness Center for Addiction Therapy in Palatine, IL
The decision to see a therapist for addiction therapy in Palatine, IL at the Lotus Wellness Center is very personal. It is a decision that should be based on your own desire to change the pattern you are in. While there are some people who may be stuck in thinking that therapy for addiction does not work, there are many more who will say it does.
People who are recovering from addictions often need a strong support system to overcome their struggles. Our therapists have vast experience assisting those dealing with drug and alcohol issues, eating disorders, gambling problems, and more. Our therapists provide a judgement-free space for people to talk about their recovery. Our team offers compassionate therapy for addicts in both crisis situations and those managing long-term addiction.
Why Therapy Can Help with Addiction
Therapy or counseling can be beneficial for a myriad of issues, including struggles with addiction. A therapist in Palatine, IL for addiction therapy can help treat your challenges by using various approaches, such as talk therapy, mindfulness, hypnotherapy, reiki, and much more. The following list includes the more common diagnoses and life changes that bring people to see a member of our team at the Lotus Wellness Center:
- Bipolar disorder
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Negative thought patterns
- Domestic abuse
- Difficulty conceiving
- Physical ailments
- Illness of a loved one
- Behavioral issues with a child
- Couples counseling
- Substance abuse
Reasons to Seek Therapy for Addiction at the Lotus Wellness Center
The number one reason to seek therapy is so that you can live the best life possible. That may sound cliché and hokey but it is simple logic. There are times where we legitimately face seemingly impossible obstacles in life and just need to talk it out in a safe space. When provided the opportunity to verbally process difficult subjects, one can begin to see the issue in a more realistic and manageable way. Ultimately, in making the decision to pursue better mental health, you are choosing yourself.
The choice to get treatment for an addiction is not an easy one. In fact, it requires significant effort and conscious awareness on behalf of the person to get started with their recovery. A therapist who practices addiction therapy in Palatine at the Lotus Wellness Center strives to establish a sense of trust and alliance with patients, so they feel assured that their best interests are a priority at all times. We acknowledge that this trust can take time to develop. We want patients to feel comfortable talking openly during therapy sessions, and to feel some degree of relief after appointments. Then, we hope that they continue to come back so we can support them during their recovery.
Our therapists focus on establishing trust and alliance through:
- Being attentive during every therapy session
- Empathizing with patient struggles
- Making sure patients know we prioritize their well being
- Offering strategies and coping skills to use during recovery
Bringing Issues to Light
Overcoming an addiction can be very challenging, and most patients take many years to reach a place of recovery. Sometimes, patients seeking help don’t recognize when they are contributing to their own patterns of addiction or aren’t fully committed to the process of recovery. There may be times when we gently encourage patients to reflect on their behavior and actions with warmth, genuineness, respect, empathy, and without judgement. Our therapists for Palatine addiction therapy understand that every patient is different, and will do what we can to adapt our style to meet the needs of that person.
Due to the chronic and repeating nature of addiction cycles, a number of people will relapse at least once during their recovery. However, relapse doesn’t mean that the patient has failed. Instead, it is an indication that treatment needs to be adjusted to best help what the patient is struggling with. After the choice to get help is made, patients can learn skills and coping mechanisms at the Lotus Wellness Center to decrease the chances of relapse. Avoiding relapse takes much more than simply a strong willpower to say no to substances or other addictive behaviors.
During Illinoise addiction therapy in Palatine, we can create a comprehensive plan of relapse prevention, so the patient feels more geared with tools to combat their addiction after leaving the therapy session. We may tailor treatment based on the patient and what stage he or she is at in recovery. But, in general, we focus on these elements for the relapse prevention plan:
- Writing down a list of other therapists, friends, and family who can be a support system during the patient’s recovery and in the event of a relapse
- An emergency plan if relapse does occur
- A report of the patient’s past relapses and the substance or behavior that is the topic of addiction
- Changes in lifestyle that a patient can incorporate that prioritizes their mental and physical health
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
After deciding to seek addiction therapy in the Illinois area, you may wonder, what is the next step? The answer is to find a therapist who will best suit you and your needs. There are some key things to consider in order to get to the best fit for you:
- Specialty- Find a therapist who has experience with problems and issues similar to the ones you are dealing with. You would not see a heart surgeon for a knee replacement so why would you see a couple’s counselor for depression? Rest assured, all of our staff at the Lotus Wellness Center are licensed mental health professionals.
- Insurance coverage- If you have insurance, we can check to see if the care you are seeking from us can be covered under your plan.
- Out of pocket options- If money is an issue, we can offer you several flexible payment options so that you can still get the treatment you desire right away.
- Gender considerations- You may want to ask yourself, are you more comfortable speaking with a man or a woman? There are no judgements regarding your answer, but please let us know when booking your therapy session so we can find the best match for you.
Pointers to Help You Get the Most Out of Palatine, Illinois Addiction Therapy
Here are a few tips to help you get the most out of therapy.
- Take the whole hour but don’t fret about the clock: Get your money’s worth by arriving a bit early, but let the therapist be in charge of ending the session on time. The therapist should be responsible for wrapping up.
- Make it an important part of your life: Palatine, IL addiction therapy works best when you take what you’ve learned or discovered in your session and apply it to the rest of your life. Between sessions, keep therapy in the back of your mind and try to notice areas in your life you’d like to explore.
- Engage in journalling: Keep a journal to reflect on your sessions and jot down things you notice about yourself between sessions. Log a few thoughts and feelings and bring the journal along to your sessions.
- Take care of business first: Ensure all the payment, scheduling, and insurance details are wrapped up at the beginning of the session. That way, you won’t have to deal with those logistics after you’ve had a big revelation or emotional breakthrough.
- Address any concerns about your therapist-patient relationship: These could be about anything regarding your relationship. They need to be addressed so that they do not impact other areas of your therapy.
- Asking anything is OK: Censoring questions is not necessary. You’re allowed to ask whatever you want and then let the therapist explain their boundaries.
- Challenge psycho-jargon: Therapists who have been doing this work for a long time may assume that you know what they’re talking about. If you don’t understand the words a therapist is using, ask what they mean.
- Consider what you want and how you feel: These two questions are fundamental and can help if you are stuck or don’t know what to talk about.
- Experiment with new things: Palatine addiction therapy is an ideal place to try feeling, talking, crying, being assertive, rehearsing confrontation, and much more.
- Make your own decisions and draw your own conclusions: Therapy is not all about giving advice; it’s about helping you draw conclusions and make decisions for yourself.
- Speak the “odd” thoughts: Strange thoughts are acceptable in therapy. The idea that some things are better left unsaid doesn’t apply here.
- Dreams are fair game: Bring to therapy your experiences in dreams, daydreams, and fantasies. These can provide incredibly rich material to explore.
- Go deeper: If you are running through mundane details or feeling stuck, maybe there is a deeper issue you’re not acknowledging. Tackle some more profound questions and take the time to explore what you feel, who you are, and why you do what you do.
- Allow for change: Change may feel uncomfortable. Accept that it’s part of the therapy process. It may even require a major life overhaul.
- Don’t fear the finish: At the start, talk about when to know you’re ready to leave therapy and seek to experience a truly significant ending.
What to Expect From the Process
The key word here is process. Going to your first session for therapy is your starting point. It is important to keep in mind that this is not a contest nor is it a race. Rather, it is an opportunity for you to really explore hurdles that you are facing or have faced and how that is currently impacting your everyday life and ability to thrive. If you want to know more, please do not hesitate to reach out to a therapist about Palatine, IL addiction therapy from the Lotus Wellness Center.